Developer Update: April 2021
Hey FoodNommers. I have a few exciting updates I want to share.
Where FoodNoms is at Today
- FoodNoms recently crossed $3K MRR 🎉
- It also recently surpassed 750 ratings in the US App Store (the countdown to 1K ratings begins!)
- The FoodNoms Community Database has been doing really well! It continues to receive >1K contributions weekly. Barcode scan success rate has increased 2.5x inside the US (30% to 75%) and 6.7x outside the US (3.4% to 23%). More and more users are logging into the Community Database, and almost 1 out of every 10 foods logged comes from a Community Database contribution.
What I'm Working On
I have big news to share. 🥁
I have begun a major (think "2.0") update for FoodNoms. My goals for this update:
- Address many top feature requests
- Make it easier for me to differentiate FoodNoms from the competition
- Provide more reasons for users to subscribe to FoodNoms Plus
- Speed up key interactions and workflows
- Create a solid foundation for the next two years
In order to achieve these goals, I need to rearchitect a lot of the the app's codebase. I've started a new sync engine, a new local database, and I'm working on overhauling a lot of user interface code. I'm also investing more into automated testing.
This update is going to take much longer than previous updates due to its ambitious scope. I have already made some nice progress, though. I have a build on my phone right now that:
- Syncs bidirectionally with HealthKit
- Syncs with CloudKit, which is powered by a new sync engine
- Has the start of a new UI, written almost entirely in SwiftUI
- Lots of "under the hood" changes that will enable me to ship more-complicated features more confidently and frequently
What to Expect
- Targeting a Fall 2021 release 🤞
- I will be more secretive about this update. I think it will be more fun that way. 😎
- I do not plan on doing any public TestFlight betas. I will conduct a private, invite-only beta at some point.
- I do not plan on adding any new features to FoodNoms until this one launches.
Disclaimer: This is not a promise. Plans could change at any time.
Special Note to FoodNoms Plus Subscribers
If you support FoodNoms via a FoodNoms Plus subscription, I want to give you an extra “thank you”.
Even though I mainly work on FoodNoms because it’s my passion project, I wouldn’t be continuing to spend nights and weekends to work on it if it weren’t for your support. Seriously – thank you! 🧡
– Ryan (@ryanashcraft)